Friday, August 6, 2010

It's Time

At a very young age if you are a girl you, you get a baby doll before you can even walk. At such a young age you learn how to feed the baby, how to dress the baby, and how to change the baby. If you were one of the lucky ones like me, you even got the baby that pooped and peed. At such a young age you start to learn what it means to be a mommy. I remember when I was little I would stuff the baby doll up my shirt to make myself look like I was pregnant when my sister and I would play house. I would then pretend that I would go into labor and we have to go to the hospital to deliver the baby…I am sure that child birth in real life takes more than a few pushes and the baby comes out.

When I stopped playing with baby dolls I moved onto the next stage of life…teenage years. In that chapter of my life I didn’t play with the baby dolls I babysat the real deal. I will tell you that a real child was nothing like a baby doll. The real baby would cry, their poop would stink and yes the older ones could talk back. I still loved the kids and wouldn’t change them to go back to the baby doll years. Most of us girls out there wanted to be a mommy before we could even comprehend how to even make a baby.

For my husband and I it was the summer of 2009 that we decided to make the decision to start our family, or well maybe it was more me than him. I remember I wanted to have a baby and I wasn’t so sure Mike ready for the new chapter to begin. I took matters into my own hands and decided to skip a few pills. Mike came home one day…and he went to go use the bathroom and what did he find in the toilet a bunch of my birth control pills. He said “Honey, why is there a bowl full of birth control pills sitting in the bottom of the toilet?” I replied “Oooopps sorry love I forgot to flush, those are the pills that expired…wink, wink.” Ok I know what all of you are thinking, you can’t be devious like that it is soooo wrong. I would agree with you it was wrong. I finally sat down with Mike after that and stated that I was ready to expand our family. Mike made a few jokes to make light of what I just told him. Mike wasn’t so sure about the idea, he wanted to be a little more settled in life, and we hadn’t even been married for a year. Mike was worried about being stable and having a house. All those things didn’t matter to me; I wanted to share something amazing with him. By the end of the conversation Mike agreed that we could start trying but he wanted to take it slow. So that was it, we were going to try and have a baby. With Mike’s sense of humor, amazing talent and well my good looks, we were going to make the most beautiful baby.

The following month in September sometime, I was driving down to Canon City with my mother to visit my family and I was dying to tell someone that we were trying to have a baby and well I told my mom. I have never seen a smile on my mom’s face so big. She said so I might be a “Nee Nee soon”. That is what she wants to be called instead of Grandma and she has had that name picked out since my wedding shower. We are planners in my family, just in case you haven’t caught on to that by now. My mom and I spent the remaining car drive to my grandparent’s house talking about baby names and baby items. I was able to tell my mom all of my hopes and dreams about a future little one that Mike and I hoped to have in the near future.

My mom’s best advice that day was “don’t get your hopes up that you will get pregnant in the first few times because it takes time to make a baby and I don’t want you to get hurt every month when Aunt Flow comes around.” Boy does my mother know me well, and how couldn’t she, she did give birth to me after all. As I sat in the passenger seat I thought to myself no way would Mike and I have problems, we were meant to have children and share that one ultimate bond together. Little did I know that I was going to be so wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment